Saturday, June 29, 2013

WE'RE PAYING WITH LOVE TONIGHT

well my worst nightmare at work came true. before I go too far into this let me give some background. I currently am a waitress at the Prime Dining restaurant in the PCC (Polynesian Cultural Center) and it is absolutely awesome!!! my co-workers or other people will ask me all the time if i hate my job or if i like it at all...and I always respond with an enthusiastic "heck yeah! I LOVE it!" and they usually respond with a..."really? why?" and the truth is, this is the first waitressing job i've ever had and i happen to love serving people and trying to make them smile and make their experience fun and enjoyable. The PCC is a very special place. The spirit is there so it makes it easy for me to be happy there.

here are a couple views of inside prime dining








 Ever since my first day a couple months ago my number one greatest fear was spilling my drink tray all over a customer... this is where my actual story begins. A typical number of guests to be taking care of is somewhere between 22-28. well fortunately for me i'd been placed in "no numbers" section all week by myself which is normally covered by two people giving each 24 people...so alone i had 48. I was a little stressed by that because i was really struggling to stay on top of drink orders and clearing dirty dishes. They were piling up faster than I could move, while also helping the copious amounts of people with their other random needs. There was one family of 4 that were seated, went up to get their food (it's buffet style), sat back down and began eating before i was able to get over to their table at all to even introduce myself and get their drink orders, so my tardiness in helping them already made them a little irritated with me when i finally was able to make my way over to them. As i got their order and briskly made my way back to them i began apologizing for the wait and setting some glasses down on the table and then....slip...SPLASH...BANG!!!... "CURSE WORD!" (from the guest)... I had spilt a drink on the mom of this family...it was an orange drink nicknamed POG (passion-orange-guava) and she was super upset. I apologized as much as i possibly could but i can't even express how embarrassed and awful  i felt that i had probably ruined this woman's day! I offered to take her to get a clean shirt to wear as we did her laundry so she could continue eating. well i found my manager and turned her over to her so i could clean up the broken  glass and go back to serving these people who were now looking at me like "oh shoot, here comes the girl that spilled all over that woman!...LOOK OUT!". In between the time the woman i spilled on had gotten a clean shirt and was give brand new sandals to replace her old now sticky ones- there was a dead fly found in the pitcher of POG i had brought them, i swear it got in there AFTER i had served it because there is no doubt in my mind that i would have seen that. but nevertheless I went and replaced all of the drinks. 5 minutes later they told me that one of the glasses i brought them had a nice big crack in it and was now leaking...at this point i was definitely wearing my frustrations and stress about how terrible of an experience this family must be having and one of the daughters says to me "I dont mean to offend you, but are you having a bad day?"..."do i look like i'm having a bad day?"...."yeah kinda...you just seem very stressed out" ..."well i was actually having a really good day until i spilt ALL OVER YOUR MOM!" that got them laughing a little. we exchanged some more funny, sarcastic chatter and they told me several times that it's fine, it was an accident and I shouldn't worry because PCC was making it right. They ended up tipping me $10 (which i wasn't allowed to keep because we don't accept tips, but i took it as a gesture of accepting my apology to them and that meant a lot to me). My manager later on after work was making some announcements to all of us and told the story of what happened with me, that family, and she began to cry...i still don't fully understand her tears as she relayed the events of the night, but they were definitely tears of gratitude for the way i responded to the situation- I was just grateful she wasn't ticked at me!

So in the words of a friend now that my worst fear at work has happened I "have nothing else to fear!"...except for maybe doing it again :)

I really love my job. I love the funny little things that happen between me and my co-workers. I love my co-workers. I love that I am one of the two white girls that works there. I love my little friend from Hong-Kong that for some strange reason she just LOVES me. I did nothing to her to make her like me or want to be my friend. She is just genuinely sooo sweet and everytime she sees me she hugs me and treats me like i'm her favorite person in the world to see. I take no credit for this. She's just that kind of person and has so much love to give and spreads it to someone who really honestly needs the love shown. So every day i look forward to seeing this girl who brightens my day, but really i like all of my co-workers.

Taro Rolls...I'm a little addicted to these things!

I love that Sarah has no shame, helping me have no shame - eating the pieces of prime rib too fatty to feed the guests, from a pan basically on the ground like a bunch of ravenous wolves. 



I am grateful for the PCC and for my experiences there. I am grateful for the opportunity that i have almost everyday to bring up my mission and the gospel of Jesus Christ and talk to people from all over the world about the restored gospel. I really love serving people even though I DON'T love having to wear lip-stick while doing it. Last but not least I really enjoy riding my bike home each night with my headphones in and jamming out on my bike. Singing out loud (probably pretty loud), and dancing while riding my bike with similar dance moves that you would do while driving in the car! Even though the people standing our in their yards look at me as though i'm a patient escaping from the crazy bin it makes me so happy to walk in the door every night dancing and singing! sheer bliss!

(Title from "Price Tag" - Jessie J)


No comments:

Post a Comment